Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy 2014


It is hard to believe another year has past, but sure enough I find myself in 2014.  As most people do I use New Year's as a time of reflection - looking back while still moving forward.  This past year has been a crazy one, but as I think about it I realize almost every year is crazy but each for different reasons.  This past year was all about our house, while the year before that was all about being newlyweds, and before that was about planning our wedding.  Life continues to fly by and yet this year feels different.

I spent most of my 20's trying to figure out who I was and where I was going, but over this past year I began to feel more comfortable in my own skin and I realized I was finally home. Leaving San Francisco seemed terrifying just over a year ago and yet it has proved to be the best decision we have made thus far.  Settling into suburban life was much easier than expected and living back in Marin is surprisingly a dream come true.

I spent New Year's eve at home with my husband, our dog, and a movie.  The years of expensive New Year's social events followed by the never ending cab hunt in San Francisco may be a thing of the past, but I am beginning to accept this new reality and appreciate our more settled life in the suburbs.  We spent our morning walking around Tiburon with coffee and croissants instead of with a pounding headache and a hangover.  I spent the afternoon on a solo hike into the beautiful hills above our house and spent nearly an hour meditating on a rock overlooking Mt Tam.  All of these things I would not have imagined a year ago and yet it feels just right.  All of this has me looking forward to 2014 and even more self understanding and exploration.

No comments:

Post a Comment