Friday, August 23, 2013

Let's be Honest: Caffeine versus Comfort


Are you a coffee drinker?  If so, ask yourself whether you drink coffee for the kick of caffeine or for the comfort of the habit.  I recently asked myself the same question and I was surprised to realize that I rarely drink coffee for the caffeine and rather for the comfort and ritual it provides.

I love coffee shops often more than the coffee they actually serve. I love baristas and the ability most of them have to brew a delicious cappuccino unrivaled by the pot of coffee one can make at home.  I recently challenged myself to drink less coffee and in-particular to stop spending close to $4 per day in order to partake in the coffee experience and I have to tell you it has been a hard habit to break.

I miss my morning ritual and the extra ten minutes I buy myself before starting work everyday.  I miss my baristas who know my name and the dry cappuccinos that they so lovingly prepare. I especially miss riding my bike to the coffee shop on weekends.  And so, I have decided to not kick the habit completely, but to simply be aware of the reasons behind it and to ask myself if I really need the caffeine or comfort before stopping in the morning.  If you are looking to brew a delicious cappuccino in the comfort of your home you should try the recipe below, it will not disappoint!

Homemade Cappuccino pictured in Jonathan Adler Muse Mug
 - Brew espresso or strong coffee of your choice
 - Heat 1 cup skim milk just until boiling on stove, stirring constantly
 - For a sweetened cappuccino add vanilla or sugar at this point
 - Once milk has reached boiling point, remove from heat and whisk vigorously until froth has formed
 - Pour coffee followed by milk mixture into mug and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment